It's Different for a Woman Part 2 - Show up; Be Heard! (05/16/2019)
Last month i wrote about the difference in feminine leadership versus the male defined leadership example. We've been invited to join in to a leader's world which has been defined and used for the benefit of men. How do we effect a shift to system which foundationally changes how leaders are perceived and highlights feminine leadership strengths?
Feminine leadership requires that we leverage our emotions (Emotional Intelligence is the structure by which to do this) and our natural inclination to insist on quality and continuous improvement to the status quo. Feminine Leadership in my mind is a blend of vision and quality assurance. Merge the bright idea with how to get it done and you have a perfect example of our leadership benefits. Communication is essential to encourage others to join in to the shift of focus to feminine leadership. Using EI to structure the emotional component of of leadership style can be coupled with a structured communication plan for a favorable outcome and a change in perception:
- Prepare your message by starting with the facts. Like a research paper, the facts are presented and discussion will follow.
- Manage the agenda. Whether you are invited to the meeting /thought session or leading it, structure is your friend - get on the agenda!
- Research the attendees of any conference, meeting or thought session. If you understand them and their responsibilities it will be easier to achieve buy-in and draw attention to your ideas and your leadership persona.
- Contribute to the meeting. Ask questions, make salient comments and ensure that your participation is noticed and valued.
- Take ownership of action items. Focus on items that will leverage and display your abilities while making a solid contribution to an effort.
The blending of "here's what needs to get done" and "here's how to do it right" is an excellent way to highlight our feminine strengths and move the leadership paradigm to a more relevant, androgynous and effective model. Structuring the emotional and practical will underpin your presentations and leadership style.
I work with leaders to help them showcase their strengths and maximize their contribution and engagement in business goals. Contact Beth for more information.
As we head into Memorial Day weekend and the officiai start of summer I would like to take this opportunity to thank the brave women and men who put their lives on hold and on the line to ensure that our freedoms are protected. Some make the ultimate sacrifce and for that I am eternally grateful. Godess Bless you and your families!