Too Much To Do Paralysis (01/14/2022)
Things are so different now. The Pandemic ...The constantly changing workplace ( remote or on-site?) Balancing personal safety issues, family care and business, all conspire to eat up your time leaving little room to reflect on what comes next and how you want things to go. Everything important to you gets squeezed into ever shrinking slivers of time making concentration and focus difficult. So how do we do it? How do you maintain your focus and concentration when handling the Pandemic guidelines, day to day stuff, family emergencies and the needs of your business?
With all that needs to get done and done well, it's no wonder that we sometimes get overwhelmed. Paralysis sets in and then all bets are off - it becomes difficult to get through even one thing! Here are some tips for working through that paralysis:
- Before you retire for the evening, create a mental picture of what the new day will bring, then,
- convert this picture into a basic "to do" list with your most important priority as number 1.
- Use your list as your work plan for the day; crossing out each task as you complete it and adding and scheduling new tasks as they come up.
- Try your best to stay focused on one task at a time. Look for natural breaks to do other things like email, texts, reading and the like.
- Switch your focus from a demanding activity to one less demanding from time to time. After completing a high attention task, try doing a low attention activity. One that is simple and neccesary (like the laundry).
- If you are distracted with "what if's" or worries, write them down. Getting them off your mind and on to a list will free you up to do more productive thinking as well as allowing you to schedule time to deal with your worries.
The key takeaway is this: it is what it is! I know I'm stating the obvious when I say that life doesn't always work out as planned but that doesn't mean that it is unmanageable. Go deep. Stay with it. Using various techniques to help improve your focus and concentration will work wonders in terms of helping you fulfill your most important responsibilities to family while effectively managing your familly, business and social obligations.
Real Leadership Associates can help. I use the coaching process to enable healthy maintenance of your interactional equilibrium by helping you identify your triggers and manage unproductive reactivity. There are many tools and techniques to manage stress, time and work/life balance. I can work with you to select rhe most effective approach for your needs and personality type. And- if you just want to blow off steam - I'm here to listen and help you use that steam to power your personal and professional action plans. Contact Beth for more information
The new year is upon us so I'd like to wish you and yours a wonderful, prosperous and healthy new year. Stay safe, Stay calm. Mask up. Be happy. Get stuff done! Who could ask for more?